Land Reform - A Christian Ethical Response
Day Conference, 30th November 2015
This Conference considered important issues of land ownership and land reform in Scotland in the 21st century from a Christian, ethical perspective.
The Scottish Government is proposing legislation aimed at:
- encouraging greater transparency regarding land ownership
- advocating higher levels of community land ownership
- obliging land owners to demonstrate effective land management for the common good
How should Christians think about the land?
How are the concepts of land and social care related?
Conference participants included:
- David Thompson MSP, SNP
- Murdo Fraser MSP, Scottish Conservatives
- Kieran Turner, Evangelical Alliance (Scotland)
- Hector Morrison, Highland Theological College UHI
- Jamie Grant, Highland Theological College UHI
View each of the sessions here:
- Introductions – Hector Morrison and Kieran Turner
- A Theological Perspective – Jamie Grant
- A Political Perspective – David Thompson MSP (SNP)
- A Political Perspective – Murdo Fraser MSP (Scottish Conservatives)
- Political Panel (David Thompson & Murdo Fraser) with Murray McCheyne in the Chair
- Land Practitioners Panel – Peter Macrae (farmer), Andrew Murchison (lawyer), Jamie Williamson (Laird of Alvie & Dalraddy Estates)
- A Church Viewpoint – Hector Morrison
- Summing Up – Kieran Turner and Jamie Grant